The Disneyland Resort has been announcing new things coming to the resort for the Diamond Celebration left and right, so we wanted to bring everyone up to speed on what to expect on May 22nd. Here is all the information we’ve gathered so far about the 60th Anniversary Celebration.
[As this post has grown in popularity and seen by many keen eyes, there have been a few updates]
[Another note: As far as we know, all of the entertainment, attractions, and merchandise will be making their debut during the 24 Hour Event on May 22nd, 2015 to kick off the Diamond Celebration. We will update if anything changes.]
Paint the Night
- 5 million individually controlled lights will be on display, with nearly all of those energy-efficient LED lights
- The lights won’t be on just the floats! Each costume that is featured in the parade with have its own individual system of lighting controls
- Subtle tributes to “Main Street Electrical Parade” will be featured, including musical theme, a “drum float” to lead the parade, and the tip of Tinker Bell’s wand will hold a light from the original “Electrical Parade”
- Pyrotechnics will be above guests and immersive projections will be all around them
- Main Street, U.S.A., mist screens on the Rivers of America, the façade of “it’s a small world,” and the Matterhorn will be viewing areas
- This show will be the largest use of projection mapping technology in any Disney Park
- It will transport guests into stories such as flying above London with Peter Pan and dancing with King Louie of “The Jungle Book”
- “Kiss Goodnight,” written by Disney Legend Richard Sherman and sung by Ashley Brown of the Broadway production of “Mary Poppins,” will close out the show
- Disneyland has been doing testing of the show after park hours. Watch the video below if you want a bit of a sneak peek.
- The story of the Disney animated blockbuster “Frozen” will be featured
- Mr. Smythe and Mr. Jones, the Royal Theatre’s resident storytellers, will tell their own unique take on the tale of sisters Anna and Elsa
[Update: It is unconfirmed whether or not this will be the only show in the Royal Theatre.]
World of Color – Celebrate!
- It will be hosted by Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse as they appear in multiple film sequences together
- The submersible platform that the show uses is larger than a football field with more than 20,000 points of control and 1,200 fountains
Carthay Circle Theatre [Update]
- There will be diamond enhancements
- The large “Diamond D” marquee was inspired by 1930s Art Deco movement
- Diamonds began showing on April 30th
- There will be diamond enhancements
- More than 100,000 blue, glass crystals will be placed on the rooftops
Main Street [Update]
- New enchanted window displays will feature scenes from Aladdin, Frozen, Princess and the Frog, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and Toy Story. Watch the video here.
- Replica opening day banners have been hung.
- Projections similar to those used to enhance scenes in Alice in Wonderland will be added.
- Nursery scene reimagined
- London and Never Land will glow in new ways
- Opening rescheduled to July 1st
Haunted Mansion [Update]
- HATBOX GHOST
- The figure will materialize on May 9th
[SPOILER] Watch the new ghoul below!
Matterhorn Bobsleds [Update]
- The Abominable Snowman will be more exciting and ferocious along with appearing in new and animated ways.
- A new scene will be added that will reveal lost treasure the Abominable Snowman has been hiding inside the mountain.
- The wall have been taken down!
Grizzly Peak Airfield
- Grizzly Peak expanding into former Condor Flats
- Smokejumpers Grill, quick-service food location formerly Taste Pilots Grill, opened in March 2015
- Soarin’ Over California will reopen with updates to screen and projection system
- Entire area reopens on Friday, May 15th
- Humphrey’s Service and Supplies will replace the old Fly N’ Buy, named after Humphrey the Bear who starred in several Disney animated shorts in the 1950s
Food and Beverage
- Lemon flavored anniversary cupcakes- Jolly Holiday Bakery Café
- Orange flavor anniversary cupcakes- Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Café
- Lucky Fortune Tea- Lucky Fortune Cookery
- Monstro Blue Lemonade- Village Haus
- Party Wave Lemonade- PCH Grill
- Pomegranate Silver Sparkler- Jolly Holiday
- Wild Raspberry Rapids Frozen Lemonade- White Water Snacks
- Enchanted Cherry Apple Frozen Lemonade- Troubadour Tavern
- Honey Bee Frozen Lemonade- Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Resort and theme park restaurants are expected to serve “diamond-themed” deserts, but menus are still in the works
- The number of performances throughout the day will increase
- The iconic Disneyland Band will premiere a new sound, along with more musicians and choreography
- Diamond March-Along: guests can join the daily march up Main Street, U.S.A. with the Disneyland Band and characters in new Diamond Celebration costumes. Concludes with Diamond Sing-Along at Town Square.
- Diamond Sing-Along: the Dapper Dans quartet will invite guests to join in singing along with them with new Diamond Celebration moments
- Diamond Dance-Along: the Straw Hatters band will invite guests to dance along with them with new Diamond Celebration moments.
- Mickey will be sharing a whole new song about his vision for Disneyland with the Red Car News Boys.
- The Five & Dime will invite guests to dance along with them, Goofy, and the boys.
- The Mad T Party will return! Disney is referring to it as the “Diamond Mad T Party.” The Hottest Deck in Town dance crew will perform their show with a new look at the Hollywood Backlot Stage. There will be a new photo location that combines the spirit of the Mad T Party with Disney’s past.
- Build- A- Bear Workshop will create exclusive accessories for their bears featuring the Diamond Celebration
- The House of Blues Anaheim will feature a souvenir guitar pick and a specialty cocktail for the Diamond Celebration